Tokoloshe in the Baby Monitor

Tokoloshe by West Brimstone

When my youngest daughter was a baby, we had her crib in our bedroom, during her afternoon naps she would sleep in her crib with the microphone end of the Baby Monitor device, and I would keep the speaker end with me.

One day, she was having a nap, and I was in the kitchen with my Domest Assistant. We heard the baby snuffling as usual. And then when she settled we started to chat.

After a few minutes, we realised that there was a male voice coming through the speaker. As if someone was in the bedroom talking to my baby in a soothing voice. I rushed to see what was going on but she was alone and safe. Within a few minutes of being back in the kitchen, the male voice started up again, speaking in a language we didn't know.

My DA looked at me and she was so shocked and scared, I said to her in a whisper.
"Maybe it's a Tokoloshe!"
And the male voice in the speaker said,
"Tokoloshe"

“Mythical Monsters” written by Chris McNab

A Tokoloshe is a South African spirit man, short in stature and often visible to children. According to legend, if you place  brick under each leg of your bed, raising it up high, then the Tokoloshe cannot touch you while you are in your bed.

As a child, my Zulu Nanny used to tell me that I had a Tokoloshe as my "friend" and that I would offer him pieces of my lunch. According to legend, Tokoloshe love children and don't harm them, but if one comes into your house when you are an adult? Make sure you leave beer and cooked meat for him to eat. Or else there will be trouble.
Needless to say, I stayed with my sleeping baby from then onwards.

Comments

Popular Posts